Tips for finding affordable storage in Ohio
Storage PreparationJanuary 12, 2020
There are plenty of different reasons why people rent a storage unit. Some people use storage space while they are moving so they can store their belonging safely somewhere for a day or two. Others don’t like clutter at their home so they put everything that they don’t want to get rid of in the storage facility. Truth to be told, having a storage unit is a must nowadays. However, if you are planning to store some of your belongings you will need storage containers Columbus Ohio. But, is it finding affordable storage in Ohio possible? Let’s find out!
Tips for finding affordable storage in Ohio
As we have already mentioned, having a storage space is a must and most people find it very useful. However, if you are trying to find bins storage Columbus Ohio you should contact your professional mover and ask for it.
These are the tips that you should follow in order to find affordable storage in Ohio:
- Farther away units are cheaper!
- A climate-controlled storage
- Pick the right size of the storage unit
- Buy and install your own lock
- Finding affordable storage in Ohio – pay upfront to get a good deal!
- Compare several storage facilities
Farther away units are cheaper!
There are a lot of people who are willing to pay tons of money to have storage nearby. However, if you are not planning on visiting your storage every weekend or even more, you should consider renting something that’s a little farther away. The price of your storage unit will probably cost less so you won’t have to cancel one of your higher-end amenities.
Finding affordable storage in Ohio – A climate-controlled storage
Climate-Controlled storage is a special type of storage unit. If you have a lot of valuable items such as art, antiques, electronics or even carpets that need some special care, you should consider getting a climate-controlled unit. This type of storage costs more than the regular one. So, if you don’t have any item that requires special care, you should go for the regular storage space.
Pick the right size of the storage unit
How to pick the right size of the storage unit? If you pick a small storage unit you won’t be able to fit all of the items in. On the other hand, if you pick a huge one, you will pay more for unnecessary space! So, if you want to pick the perfect sized one, you should contact your mover or one of the storage facilities and ask for their opinion.
There are different sizes of storage units. To use your storage space efficiently, you should at least have an idea of how big/small it is, and what kind of items can fit in it.
- 5 x 5 – Perfect for storing tools, boxes, small furniture such as end tables and dressers and small appliances.
- 5 x 10 – This storage unit is about the size of a walk-in closet. This storage unit can hold about the same amount of items as a cargo van. You will be able to fit a sofa, mattress set, and some additional boxes.
- 7.5 x 10 – You will be able to fit one solid bedroom or a lightly furnished apartment. Washer and dryer are included!
- 10 x 10 – This unit is big enough to hold one heavily furnished bedroom with major appliances included. You will also be able to fit some additional boxes in too.
- 10 x 15 – Perfect size to fit a small house in or a two-bedroom apartment.
- 10 x 20 – The same size as the 24-foot moving truck. Perfect to hold 2-3 bedroom apartment with all the appliances included.
- 10 x 25 – Perfect to hold a large house with all appliances.
- 10 x 30 – This one is the same size as a 40-foot moving truck. Perfect to hold four or five-bedroom houses.
Buy and install your own lock
Installing your own lock won’t save you tons of money but it still will save some. Locks companies will want to rent or sell new locks for a higher price. Therefore, installing your own lock is a way better option. Besides, you will be able to use your own lock forever. Just be sure to buy a good quality lock that can not break easily.
Finding affordable storage in Ohio – Pay upfront to get a good deal!
This is the most important and the most useful tip when it comes to finding affordable storage in Ohio. If you offer to pay for your residential storage unit for a certain amount of time, for example, six months, be sure to ask for a discount! Most of the storage facilities give a discount for paying for a few months in advance. You can also get a month or two for free!
Compare several storage facilities
Before making a decision, you need to do some research. You need to compare storage prices and write down your findings. Do remember to note down any additional offers that these facilities may have. Things such as a discount for the first month or even a free first month with pre-payment are all worth additional money. You may even get an even greater discount if you commit to the storage long-term. Then there is the free pick-up possibility and so on.
If you are in need of more advice on choosing a storage unit, you can always read some of the many customer reviews. You can find these on the internet or ask people who used it before. Do not make the mistake of only looking at the overall rating or the number of stars. Read the reviews themselves. Look for consistencies in them. When many people are saying the same thing, it is more likely to be true. However, make sure to apply logic and common sense to everything. The reviews that will be most helpful to you are the ones that review security, climate control, customer service, and so on.
And where security is concerned, you can’t afford to neglect it. You are storing your valuable items there, you need to know that there are security alarms and cameras on the premises. Additionally, check if there is always someone there that is looking after the storage space, at least in the hours when you can access it. Some of these storage units are in dark buildings and until the light goes off, it can be a bit scary. It is always nice to have someone with you.