The differences between short and long term storage
Storage preparationDecember 4, 2018
We all want our home to be beautiful and functional. And that can be really difficult if we have a bunch of things lying around. For this reason, storage business has been born. Nowadays, we have plenty of options for storage renting. Anyhow, you need to make a little research to find the most suitable one. And this depends on the reasons you are renting it in the first place, and what do you need it for. Most noteworthy, it depends on whether you need it short or long term? Let’s find out what are the differences between short and long-term storage.
What do you need storage for?
This is a first question you should ask yourself. Your situation and needs will determine the type of storage you will rent. So let’s go through some possible scenarios.
- If you need a place to store your belongings between two moves, short-term storage is an ideal option. Maybe you haven’t found the new home yet and you need a place to store your belongings for a while. Or maybe you are just taking some time between move in and move out dates.
- If you are moving to a smaller home, you probably won’t have enough space for all your things. Therefore, you will need to get rid of some things before you move. And for the ones you would like to keep storage a long-term or permanent option.
- The main differences between short and long-term storage are in the time period you are renting it for. If you are decluttering your home you probably have a pile of possessions you are about to sell. That will probably be a short-term rent for you. Selling is a process that can take some time. And it’s a great solution to store until it’s all sold out. Of course, if it turns out that you need more time, it’ perfectly ok to extend the rent or even to change the storage unit. Switching from short-term to long-term storage might require that.
- If you are looking to store things that you use only from time to time, long-term storage is just for you. You could store your holiday decoration, bicycles, roller skates, skies, boat or some tools.
People who rent a storage unit for the business purpose are often long-term users. Are you finding yourself in some of those categories?
- Contractors and landscapers often have a need for storage. They have a lot of tools and materials they simply cannot keep at their home or an office.
- Designers and store owners usually need to store the products, clothes, materials etc. This is a much better option than holding everything in store or a garage.
- Artists and gallery owners should consider taking not only a long-term type of storage but also the one with controlled temperature conditions. Paintings, sculptures, and installations are sensitive on temperature and moisture. Therefore, make sure to find a storage unit that will protect your art from possible damage.
- Remote salespersons could not imagine their business without having a place to safely store their products. Depending on the size and type of the product you should choose the storage solution that suits you.
The differences between short and long-term storage
As we see, although the main differences between short and long-term storage are the time and purpose factor. You are probably wondering what is the exact period that we call a short-term period. In the world of storage, that would be up to three months. Interestingly, you can find more discounts and better deals for long-term storage. Logically, for the storage facility owners, long-term users are precious, and they do their best to attract them. On the other hand, there are some companies that have special offers for short-term rent. Make sure you do a good research and find yourself the best deal.
This type of storage works for both, short and long-term users. Self-storage is convenient for it’s easy and fast access. You pay it on a monthly basis, and the price varies depending on its size. Also, you provide your lock, so you can be sure that nobody else can enter without your permission. Make sure to be properly informed about the working hours. Some facilities work 27/7 while others have limited access hours. In most cases, you deliver and pack your storage unit by yourself. But if you need professional help, the storage company may do it for you for a fee, or your movers can do it for you. Some companies offer free transport with the storage agreement. You should certainly ask what is included in the rental of the space. Check the electricity, heat, security and all the service before you sign. If something of that requires extra fees, you need to be aware of that.
The container storage usually used for long-term storage or a set period. It also works for people who are moving house and need a place to store all their household items until their new home is ready. It is also a great solution if you are going to spend some time in the other city or abroad. If you choose this storage option, the company will bring containers to your house which you fill with your belongings. After that, the storage company take the containers and store them until you need them again. What is specific about containers is that access is very limited. Make sure you get all the necessary information.
Ask for advice
If you are not really sure what type of storage do you need, you can always ask the professionals for advice. Experienced storage managers will know exactly what you need, maybe even before you do. Of course, you should be careful and avoid any possible moving or storing scams. If they are always suggesting more expensive options, you should maybe change the facility It is very important to have confidence in your storage company. After all, they are taking care of your things.