Eco-friendly packing alternatives for your upcoming move
Storage preparationAugust 8, 2019
When it comes to the environment, every action matters. Thus, we should be very cautious about the kind of products we use on a daily basis. If we have a chance to reduce the impact on the environment, we should take it. And we have a hell of a motivation to do so – healthier and better life for us and our children. Did you know that even relocation can be eco-friendly? For your convenience, we have created a list of eco-friendly packing alternatives. Luckily, there are a lot of green moving supplies that you can use for your upcoming move. And if you decide to hire professionals, moving and storage Columbus Ohio experts can organize a green move for you!
More and more people are choosing to help in saving our planet, every day. There are so many ways to do so, it takes just a little effort. From recyclable plastics to biodegradable moving and storage bins and boxes, it seems like there is no end to the eco-friendly packing alternatives available.
Reusable moving boxes – yes or no?
These days, many moving companies offer reusable moving boxes for rent. They often deliver them to your home prior to the moving day. And when you are done with them, they take them away to be used again. This service saves you the headache of disposing of tons of boxes. Also, this is a more durable and environmentally friendly solution to transfer your belongings to your new home. The only thing you may not like about reusable moving boxes is the fact that many people have used them before you. But keep in mind that movers clean them up thoroughly after every move.
Put your blankets, linens, and towels in use
When you use professional moving services or rent some of the storage units Reynoldsburg Ohio offers, you can ask them to add packing materials as well. But when you are packing on your own, there are few eco-friendly packing alternatives to keep in mind. Most noteworthy, things like towels, linens, and blankets can also be packing materials. Blankets are great for padding large items like furniture, and lamps, while towels fold nicely around photo frames and small decorations. Also, any of these can fill up the gaps in boxes that aren’t quite full. Just be careful what items you use for kitchenware, as they may end up smelling like food.
Eco-friendly packing alternatives you will love
Packing your items properly is of the utmost importance when moving. And in order to do so, you will need a good technique, and of course, quality packing materials. We will be telling you about those that are considered to be good eco-friendly packing alternatives. Here are some of the green packing materials you might want to get for your upcoming relocation.
- Biodegradable packing peanuts are great cushioning material, usually made out of styrofoam. Since styrofoam is everything but eco-friendly, try to find a biodegradable kind.
- Air pillows and wraps made out of recyclable materials are one of the best eco-friendly packing alternatives. They have been developed in order to reduce the usage of plastics.
- Cornstarch or mushroom packaging is very creative alternatives to traditional packing supplies. Using organic materials for your upcoming move can become a healthy habit in the future.
- You don’t have to completely avoid using plastic. Especially if you go with eco-friendly and recycled plastic. Plastic containers are reusable, sturdy and provide good protection to your belongings during the transport. This is why recycled plastic is a great choice for your green move.
- Things you already own. As we have already said, items we already own can be great eco-friendly packing alternatives. You can use blankets, towels, old sweaters, garbage bags, suitcases, backpacks, etc. Just think outside the box!
Other tips for the green move
There are many ways to make your relocation greener. To help you with this, we have prepared some additional moving tips.
- Declutter before the move and sort items you don’t need anymore. Try donating these pieces or selling them.
- Use containers you already have, such as bags, suitcases and drawers.
- Don’t pack all your kitchen items right away. Leave out just enough equipment to get you through the move, so that you don’t have to purchase plastic plates and cups.
- Use natural cleaning products to clean your old and new home. There is no need to use harsh and toxic chemicals when you can make eco-friendly ones by yourself! Moreover, some natural cleaners are even better than the ones you can buy in stores.
As you can see, there are many eco-friendly packing alternatives available. So, unleash your imagination!