Choosing the right climate controlled storage
Storage preparationApril 16, 2020
You may think you can’t really go wrong when choosing the right climate-controlled storage. Well, it depends. If you opt for storage services of our climate-controlled storage services – then yes, there’s no really a chance to make a mistake. But, if you are not sure what you are putting in your storage and how long do you need storage for, then you may just need to read this article. We will explain how to know what to choose, which are temperature-sensitive items and how to store them in the right type of storage.
Things to know when getting climate-controlled storage
When getting climate-controlled storage, there’s more to think than just storage. For example, you also need a special organization when it comes to transport for temperature-sensitive items. So, temperature-sensitive items require a special way of packing and transport, with maintaining a certain temperature from pickup to delivery. That’s why you can simply hire commercial movers Columbus Ohio, and not worry about the thing in the entire process! A reliable moving company such as ours will provide you with the transportation and storage of all types of temperature-sensitive items. Besides, we transport of temperature-sensitive items locally and abroad.
Important factors that can impact your choice
Choosing the right storage depends on the following factors:
- Cost. Of course, climate-controlled containers cost more than the usual ones. They require special conditions and keep your items at a certain temperature all the time. But, various moving companies offer different prices for climate-controlled units, so ask carefully before renting.
- Location. Of course, the lower price of the unit doesn’t mean a thing if your storage unit is too far for you and you have to spend additional time and money on things like gas, transport, etc. So it would be great if your storage unit is as close to you as possible.
- Accessibility. The other factor you need to consider is access to your storage. Some companies don’t work on the weekends and are not open 24/7 and during public holidays. So if you need your items in a specific time of day (and night!), opt for the one that is accessible at all times.
- Moving or storage company. Choosing cheap and unverified moving or storage companies can be a major red flag. That’s why you should always check which company has good reviews and good reputation.
- Type of storage. Climate controlled units can be different. Starting from the size to the required temperature, you may find different options on the market. Choose the one that best suits your needs.
- And finally, the type of items you own. We will discuss more on the type of items you can store bellow.
What are temperature-sensitive items that require temperature-controlled storage
Temperature-sensitive items include medicines, pharmaceutical samples, biological samples of animal or human origin, etc. That’s why the transportation of temperature-sensitive items is usually done in a door-to-door manner. This means that the package does not make stops from the moment of loading to the moment of delivery.
Storage of temperature-sensitive items is available in the following temperature ranges:
- Deep frozen consignments at -80 ºC (on dry ice)
- Frozen consignments at -20 ºC
- Chilled consignments from +2 to +8 ºC
- Controlled ambient consignments from +15 to +25 ºC
- Consignments at body temperature
When storing temperature-sensitive items, you need to have adequate packaging to maintain the temperature. A good moving company usually works with the best materials, including thermal boxes and containers, dry ice, different types of gel packs for all temperature ranges, stationary and mobile refrigerators, freezers, heaters, etc.
Do you even need climate-controlled storage
Whether or not do you need climate-controlled storage depends on the following factors
- Type of items
- Required storage temperature
- Length of storage
It also depends on factors such as where you live and what season of the year is it. Besides, you may not even need temperature-controlled storage! If you are a student, and you can simply look into dorm room storage solutions.
But if you do need climate-controlled services, bear in mind that only containers designed specifically for this purpose are used for storing temperature-sensitive items. These storage have the ability to control the temperature in the area and they have been certified for storing this type of goods. The storage of medicines and medical equipment is also carried out by specially marked storage which is used only for this purpose.
Self-storage units vs temperature controlled ones
You need to know when to use self-storage facilities and when the ones that have a specific temperature. When moving to another space or renovating a place, there can be a problem of temporarily moving things that interfere with your work. And some things don’t really require temperature control. You can simply put them in boxes or bags, mark them and then store temporarily in a safe place.
Are your items sensitive to humidity or temperature changes
If you have items such as old wooden temperature, art, documents, photographs or collectibles then you just may need to have the temperature-controlled unit. The only safe solution is to store everything you currently do not need in rented storage space. And if these things require specific temperatures, that’s no problem. It is possible to rent a suitable space with air conditioning, which is adjusted to maintain the required temperature. In this way, all your items will be preserved in the best possible way.